Link road protestors have half charges dropped

May 15, 2013 by combehavendefenders

Campaigners against the Link  Road make their presence felt at the "how we will build the road" exhibition in Queensway, organised by East Sussex County Council and road contractors Vinci and Hochtief. Photo: Combe Haven Defenders.

Campaigners against the Link Road make their presence felt at the “how we will build the road” exhibition in Queensway, organised by East Sussex County Council and road contractors Vinci and Hochtief. Photo: Combe Haven Defenders.

LINK ROAD PROTESTORS HAVE HALF CHARGES DROPPED AS LOCALS VOICE ANGER AT “CONSTRUCTION EXHIBITIONS”
Campaigners to appear in Hastings Magistrates Court for pre-trial review this afternoon

Over two-thirds of those charged in connection with the peaceful protests against the controversial £100m Bexhill-Hastings Link Road (BHLR) have had half of their charges dropped.

Seventeen people are currently awaiting trial in connection with peaceful direct action protests against the Road in December 2012 and January 2013. Of these, thirteen had been charged with the offence of “obstructing an enforcement officer engaged to execute a High Court writ”. These charges have now been dropped, leaving the thirteen charged only with “aggravated trespass”.

Several defendants – including local physicist Patrick Nicholson and environmental educator Rosa Canadas – will be appearing at Hastings Magistrates Court  [2] this afternoon for a pre-trial review.

Patrick Nicholson, 48, a medical physicist, of High Street, Hastings said: “I’m pleased that today’s hearing gave us the chance to begin explaining why we had to take peaceful action against the Link Road and in favour of more sustainable alternatives. We will continue fighting for a better deal for local people AND the environment, and to stop this road-to-nowhere and the many others in the pipeline nationally.”

Rosa Canadas, 33, an environmental educator, also of Hastings Old Town, said: “In a week when carbon dioxide levels have reached 400 parts per million for the first time in 3 million years [3], it is governments and corporation who should be in the dock for failing to tackle the massive threat of climate change.”

The peaceful protests against the Road – which have resulted in 29 arrests to date – have already received national attention [4]. The BHLR is the ‘first and the worst’ of over 190 new road projects that the Government, big business & local councils are pushing throughout England and Wales [5].

In other news, angry local residents have been making their voices heard at two “construction exhibitions” in Sidley (8 May) and Queensway (13 May), organised by East Sussex County Council and road contractors Hochtief and Vinci, including demonstrations inside both events.

[1] http://www.combehavendefenders.org.uk
[2] The Law Courts Horntye Park Bohemia Road Hastings East Sussex England TN34 1ND
[3] http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/may/10/carbon-dioxide-highest-level-greenhouse-gas
[4] https://combehavendefenders.wordpress.com/recent-media-coverage/
[5] https://combehavendefenders.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/stop-the-zombie-roads-hastings-halloween-action-on-30-october/

%d bloggers like this: